What is file compression? Uses types and more.Poated on by
Categories Computer Knowledge
What is file compression?
File compression is a method to reduce file size to save disk space or faster file transfer over networks.
There are several different compression methods and it depends on the document type as to which one is best. If you use a method like Adaptive Compression, it can analyze the document contents and determine the best type of compression to use.
Types of file compression
Lossy compression mostly used for media type data like image, audio or video.
Lossless compression can be used for all types of data in which they can be compressed in a archive file.
What are the advantages of file compression?
There are many advantages of file compression. They are mentioned below
- Frees up storage space on a hard drive or web server
- Reduces the amount of time it takes to send something via email or a file-sharing service like Dropbox
- Reduces the amount of time it takes to migrate files to the cloud
- Minimizes the financial costs of operating a network, since fewer resources are needed to transmit the data
When would I use file compression?
- To publish files online for people to download or to send large files as email attachments
- To speed up the process of moving a large data set from the desktop to the cloud
- To move to a smaller cloud storage solution, which would then reduce any associated costs